Sunday, August 15, 2010

A funny thing...

I had a bit of a funny and strange experience today. When you have a baby in my area, you get an invitation to attend a 'mothers club', that includes other mothers with baby's born in a two week period. I never went to it when Charlie was born, I had to many other issues to deal with.

So this time around, I thought it would be great to go along, any excuse for a coffee outing I say! Today was the first 'met and greet' session. I arrived with my two children in tow and joined the other mumma's. It came to introducing ourself's and I just said the basics, Hi, I'm Keshia. This is Charlie, he is 4 and Ava is 4 weeks... which was responded by 'Is Charlie yours?', well, you all know the answer to that, and then 'I thought this group was for first time mothers?'. And then the whole bunch of women there (7 others) proceeded to ignore me for the remainder of the 45 minutes...

Hmmm, I just don't know what to say. I'm actually having a little giggle to myself at the looks that those mothers faces carried, then they all proceeded to eat the savory scones I provided... I near feel like going next time just to see how they react a second time... I will just remember to keep my scones on my lap and eat them all in front  of them.

5 comments:

Hayley said...

I totally know that feeling..it happened to me..and I think I am a friendly person. If you decide to go again I hope it is much better and I agree make sure you take something extra yummy and proceed to eat it ALL! At least you can laugh at the experience :)
I love the banner the pics are so cute!

ClaireyHewitt said...

Hi there,

Just saw you on AMB so thought I come and check you out and add to your followers etc. Always great to find a new blog to read.

Give it another go, one of those new mums might be just struggling to hold on and has no ability to even make decent conversation let alone have the courage to welcome you properly. I am now super friends with the one girl in my group I thought I had nothing in common with, would have been a huge shame if one of us had of quit early.

You can see me at http://claireyhewitt.blogspot.com/ I am quite new to the whole blogging thing though.

Nadiah said...

Ditto what ClaireyH said, though on the flip-side, sometimes it takes a while to find a group that "clicks" for you. There are many more potential Mummy friends out there for you.

Cat said...

It took forever to bond with my Mum's group cos as you know I'm a bit honest and they well, weren't! Perfect babies/perfect partners blah blah blah. Anyway, one of the chicks and I are now very good friends. These women are probably very insecure about their "new" roles & a bit threatened by your old hat status. Raspberries to them.

Ash said...

That's awful! For a long time I thought I didn't click with my mum's group because I thought they were all getting it right and I wasn't. It wasn't long before everyone started opening up and sharing their struggles. As Cat said, they might think you know more than they do, so they're a bit insecure...Good luck, once you find the right group its fabulous!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails